Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Genealogy of Happenstance at the 2014 Minnesota Fringe Festival




There are three chances left to see The Genealogy of Happenstance, an intimate one-person show by Allegra J. Lingo, including tonight (Tuesday) at 7:00 P.M. It is the story Allegra and her wife Amy's real-life journey to expand their family.

Lingo is a familiar face at the Fringe. Along with being the director of Audience and Volunteer Services, she is a longtime Fringe solo performer. I've seen most of her shows, and they always make me think and laugh. But this one made me cry. In a good way.

I am also a mother, a parent, and a wife, and I relate to the universal part of the story. Hearing Allegra, who is so good at words, give birth to a vocabulary about how she experienced this journey was inspiring.  Although part of the show is about how it feels to know her genetic material will not be passed on to her child, you can already see how Baby will definitely inherit her stories. And this made me happy.

This show deals with the universal through the specifics--as all great storytelling does.  Great First Chapter in your book of parenting. 

No comments: